Verification of DOB and legal presence for California DL/ID

Driving on a suspended license is usually a misdemeanor charge in Los Angeles County, and even if it's reduced to an infraction can result in a fine of over $1500.  So how do you get your license if you have no proof that were born in the USA.

California requires applicants of DL/ID's to show verification of DOB and proof of legal presence within the United States.   The CA DMV allows numerous types of documents as proof.  I included a list directly off of the CA DMV website below.  If you need more info, check out the FAQ page from the DMV

Original or a certified copy of

  • US Birth Certificate (certified copy from state or local vital statistics office)
  • US Certificate of Birth Abroad or Report of Birth Abroad
  • Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
  • USCIS American Indian Card
  • Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
  • US Passport
  • US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent of a military member, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Northern Mariana Card
  • USCIS US Citizen ID Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Temporary Resident Identification Card
  • Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
  • Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
  • Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
  • "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
  • Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
  • Refugee travel document
  • Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction. Must contain name, birth date, place of birth, legal presence status, and judge's signature.
  • Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority
  • Employment Authorization Card (I-776)
  • Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP
  • Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
  • Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition) - must indicate approved extension of stay or change in status that grants temporary or permanent residency, or indicates that an original, duplicate or renewal Resident Alien card is forthcoming.
  • Immigration judge's order granting asylum
  • Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94
  • U.S. Border Crossing Identification card with valid I-94